The Suffield Township Board of Trustees met in an open meeting on Tuesday October 12th before a gathering of seven concerned residents. Fiscal Officer Lori Calcei told the trustees that they must come up with a plan to spend $282,360 of CARES grant funds. The caveat is that this money's use must have some relationship to the COVID 19 pandemic. It could go toward EMS expenditures, which would include supplies and EMS wages. It could be "sub-granted" to various local agencies that are in financial need and some other less understandable expenditures. If the township is unable to spend the entire amount, the remainder would be returned to he County Commissions, who would acquire 20% of it for their own spending uses. The remaining 80% would be divided between the county governments and agencies. It was unknown if this second round of spending would be limited to COVID 19 expenses, or could be used as general fund money. This will be discussed at greater length at the next meeting. Most expenditures have to be made by November 20, 2020.
Tom Calcei reported that the Fire Department handled 62 calls for service in September. He also said that Mogadore VFW has donated a trailer to haul the Fire Department's UTV and have bought a new rescue stokes basket, which will be used with the UTV. Many thanks to the VFW for their continued support of Suffield Township. Calcei also reported that the complaint of junk vehicles at 1476 Trares Road has been resolved. The residents there moved and took the vehicles with them.
Jared Phillip said that he had a talk with someone from Spectrum and learned that there may have been some movement in getting cable service to the people in Carriage House Estates.
The meeting changed tone as the issue of mining by Suffield Aggregate along U.S. Route 224 came up. The trustees have received a request to be allowed to mine that area for another ten years. The Federal Court approved agreement with the township and the mining company specified that mining be stopped on October 5, 2020, and that for two years, until October 2022, after the mining has ceased, sale of the material be allowed, and further that the site be completely reclaimed by October 2022. While no decision on the fate of this request was voted on tonight, Jared Phillip spoke on the issue and appears to be in favor of extending the mining operation. On the other hand, Tom Calcei was very opposed to this. A couple of people representing the mining company were going to attend the meeting and present their request, but due to the meeting's change of date, they were unavailable tonight. This is an issue that just keeps coming back and back.
Tom Calcei mentioned that Trick or Treat is still on for Sunday October 25th, 2:00 PM until 4:00 PM.
The trustees next meet on Tuesday October 27th at 7:00 AM. The Zoning Commission meets on Wednesday October 14th at 7:00 PM. There are no Board of Zoning Appeals hearings set.